Tea is quite British and so in keeping with our Irish theme, here is a delicious and easy tea cake. My husband described it as a sugar cookie cake – meaning he really liked it. It’s delicious served warm or at room temperature. Tea is traditional but it would also make a wonderful accompaniment to coffee. You could top it with seasonal berries for the summer or fresh whipped cream but I really enjoyed it with just the powdered sugar!
IRISH TEA CAKE
(Recipe adapted very slightly from allrecipes.com)
Print this recipe
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round pan.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. It’s a very thick batter. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack, then turn out onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar right before serving.
We are also having a giveaway! Heather makes beautiful tea cozies (which are available in her wonderful etsy store) and so today we are giving away this gorgeous small tea cozy. It’s perfect for keeping your tea warm! Heather recommends Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast Tea for enjoying at tea time.
- Leave a comment telling us your favorite tea or hot drink – one per person, please.
- For additional entries:
1) Follow us on twitter – @CooksNextDoor
2) Blog about this giveaway.
3) Facebook about this giveaway.
4) Join our facebook group.
- That makes a total of five entry opportunities. If you already follow us on twitter or are in our fb group, just leave us a comment letting us know and we will add the extra entries!
- This drawing will be open until Thursday night.
Enter away! Enjoy!